Adapted from a couple recipes from bhg.com and babble.com
24 baked homemade or store-bought tart shells
2 1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
1/3 cup water
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon butter
3 large egg whites (90 grams)
1 teaspoon clear vanilla
3/4 cup sugar
1. For the filling, in a saucepan over medium heat mix together cranberries, water, and orange juice. Bring to a boil and cook 2-3 minutes until cranberries start to pop. Mix together sugar and flour and add to mixture.
2. Continue to cook the cranberry mixture until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat and stir in butter. Transfer mixture to a clean bowl and cover the surface with plastic wrap. Let cool completely.
3. For the meringue, a large bowl or mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the egg whites with salt and vanilla until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until the meringue holds stiff peaks.
4. Place baked tart shells onto a baking sheet. Place 1 tablespoon of cranberry filling into the bottom of each. Transfer the meringue to a piping bag fitted with a star or plain tip and pipe a mound to cover the filling.
5. Bake tarts at 400°F for 3 minutes or until meringue tips are golden brown. Serve right away at room temperature or let chill in the fridge until needed. Enjoy!
Makes 2 dozen.