Adapted from Easy Cooking with Sandy & Food.com
3 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 cup vegetable shortening, cut into pieces
1/4 cup butter, cut into pieces
1 egg yolk
8-10 tablespoons ice water
2 cups sliced rhubarb (fresh or frozen)
1 medium apple, peeled, cored, and finely chopped
3/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1. First prepare the filling. In a saucepan over medium heat mix together rhubarb, apple, sugar, cinnamon, and flour. Cook and stir until thickened and fruit is tender, about 5 minutes. Let cool while preparing the pastry.
2. In a bowl of a stand mixer combined the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the vegetable shortening and butter, mix on low speed until the mixture is the texture of breadcrumbs.
3. On low speed, add the egg yolk and ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, just until the dough pulls together. The dough should be soft but not sticky. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes to an hour.
4. Preheat oven to 375°F and line baking sheets with parchment paper. On a well floured surface, roll out dough until about 1/4" thick. Using a large cookie cutter or bowl, cut out rounds.
5. Brush edges of discs with egg wash and place a heaped tablespoon of filling in the center. Fold over and pinch together the edges and then press close with a fork. Place onto prepared baking sheets.
6. Brush empanadas with egg wash and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown on the top and bottom. Let cool and then serve & enjoy!
Makes 10-12 large empanadas.