Adapted from Epicurious
1 batch pie pastry (single crust)
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon orange zest
2 teaspoons vanilla
3/4 cup light corn syrup
2 cups pecan pieces
1. Line your 10" pie dish with the pie dough and prick the surface with a fork. Freeze the shell until firm, about 15 minutes. Use excess pastry pieces and cut out leaf shapes if desired, set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Whisk in the brown sugar until mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and stir in the salt, orange zest, vanilla, and corn syrup.
3. In a bowl lightly beat the eggs and then slowly whisk in the syrup mixture. Place pecan pieces in the bottom of the pie shell. Pour the filling mixture over top. Place pie dish onto a baking sheet.
4. Bake pie for 30 minutes and then place leaf designs on top, brush with eggwash and continue baking for an additional 25-30 minutes until leaves are golden brown and filling is set.
5. Cool pie completely before serving or cool completely and refrigerate until needed. Bring pie to room temperature before serving. Enjoy!
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!