Chai Tea Batter:
2/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2/3 cup hot milk steeped with 3 sachets Chai Tea (I used this brand), cooled
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
2 cups icing sugar, sifted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
4-5 teaspoons chai tea, hot or cold
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and line two 9x5" loaf pans with parchment paper. First prepare the chai tea batter.
2. In a large bowl cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, and mix well. In a small bowl mix together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, alternating with chai milk mixture. Divide batter into two bowls.
3. Next prepare the pumpkin batter. In a large bowl whisk together pumpkin puree, sugar, canola oil, and egg. In a bowl mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and ginger. Add to wet ingredients and stir until smooth. Divide batter into two bowls.
4. Spread a layer of chai batter into the bottom of each loaf pan. Next spread over the pumpkin batter and then cover the pumpkin batter with the remaining chai tea batter. Use a knife and lightly swirl the batters together.
5. Bake loaves for 50-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool loaves in pan for 15 minutes and then place onto wire rack to cool completely.
6. For the glaze, mix together icing sugar and vanilla followed by enough chai tea to reach desired consistency. Spoon glaze over each cooled loaf and let set. Slice & serve!
Makes 2 loaves, approximately 20 slices.
The taste of Autumn!