Adapted from The One Pot Chef
4 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 packages quick rise dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons each)
1 cup sultana raisins
1 tablespoon orange zest
1/2 tablespoon lemon zest
60 grams butter, melted
1 1/2 cups warm milk (110°F)
1/3 cup flour
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons apricot or peach jam, melted
1. In a large bowl mix together flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, yeast, raisins, and zests. Set aside. In a small bowl mix together egg, melted butter, and warm milk. Add to dry ingredients and stir on low speed until dough forms.
2. Knead by hand or using a stand mixer until dough is smooth and elastic, about 5-7 minutes. Place dough into a greased bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let dough rise in a warm place, until doubled in bulk, about an hour. I put mine in the oven with the oven light on.
3. Grease 9x13" pan and line the bottom with parchment paper. On a lightly floured surface, punch down dough, and divide into 12 equal size pieces, about 3.5 ounces in weight each. Form each piece into a ball and place into pan. Use the scissors and cut an "x" into the top of each ball.
4. Cover pan with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled, about 30-45 minutes. In a small bowl mix together flour and water to form a paste. Place into a piping bag or plastic bag and pipe an "x" on each bun and brush tops with melted jam.
5. Bake buns at 350°F for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and hollow sounding when lightly tapped. Serve warm with butter and jam. Enjoy!
Makes 1 dozen.