Adapted from Joy of Baking
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar mixed with seeds of 1 vanilla bean
1/3 cup cold butter, cubed
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup milk or cream
1 tablespoon cream
2 tablespoons vanilla bean-infused sugar or regular sugar
1. Preheat oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar/vanilla seed mixture. Cut in butter using two knives or a pastry blender until the size of small peas.
3. In a small bowl whisk together egg, vanilla, and milk. Add to dry ingredients and stir with a fork just until a soft dough forms. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and pat into a 7" round circle.
4. Cut circle into 8-10 wedges and place each wedge onto the prepared baking sheet. Brush tops with cream and sprinkle with vanilla bean sugar.
5. Bake scones 15-18 minutes or until golden brown and hollow sounding when gently tapped. Let cool then serve with your favorite jam!
Makes 8-10. These scones are best served with a cup of tea!