1 cup flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 tablespoon instant coffee powder dissolved in 1/2 tablespoon boiling water, cooled
2 1/2 cups icing sugar
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease and line a swiss roll pan (15x10") with parchment paper.
2. In a bowl sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a large bowl, beat eggs until thick, foamy, and lemon coloured, about 8-10 minutes at high speed. Gradually beat in sugar then stir in water and vanilla. Blend in dry ingredients.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 12 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
5. Invert cake immediately from oven onto a tea towel dusted with cocoa or icing sugar. Peel off parchment paper then roll up cake with towel, starting from short end. Place cake seam side down onto a wire rack to cool completely.
7. For filling, in a large bowl blend together butter and half of the icing sugar. Add half of the coffee mixture, blending until smooth, followed by the remaining icing sugar and coffee mixture.
8. Unroll cooled cake. Spread half the filling into the swiss roll, roll up, then decorate the cake with the remaining coffee buttercream. Slice & serve!
Serves 8. For best keeping, store in an airtight container. I made this cake for my Dad's birthday and decorated it with some chocolate loonies and sugar paper money!