Adapted from Cupcake Project
1 cup sugar
seeds of 1 vanilla bean
1 3/4 cups self rising cake and pastry flour (I used this product)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup sour cream
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tablespoon vanilla
2/3 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and line cupcake pan with cupcake liners. In a small bowl mix together the vanilla bean seeds and sugar, break up any clumps of seeds.
2. In a large bowl mix together flour and baking soda. On low speed, blend in vanilla sugar until well combined. Add butter and blend about 3 minutes until butter has formed fine crumbs.
3. In another bowl whisk together eggs, sour cream, canola oil, and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients and blend until combined then slowly drizzle in milk, continue blending until smooth batter forms.
4. Divide batter among muffin cups, filling two-thirds full. Bake cupcakes 14-16 minutes until pale on top, golden brown on the bottom, and toothpick comes out clean.
5. Let cupcakes cool 10 minutes in the pan before transfering to a wire rack to cool completely. Once cupcakes have cooled, frost as desired then serve & enjoy!
Makes about 20 cupcakes. Wondering what to do with that used vanilla bean? Make Vanilla Bean Sugar!