1/2 cup warm water (110°F)
1 teaspoon dry quick rise yeast
1/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon softened butter
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional)
2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup + 3 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons flour
1 egg, beaten (reserve 1 tablespoon)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup icing sugar
2-3 teaspoons cream
1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
1. In a large bowl mix together water and yeast. Stir in milk, butter, sugar, salt, and cardamom. Add 1 cup flour and mix well. Add remaining flour until soft dough forms.
2. Turn dough out onto floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place into greased bowl, cover, and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 40 minutes. I put mine in the oven with just the oven light on.
3. While dough is rising, prepare custard filling. Warm the milk in a small saucepan over medium heat. In a bowl whisk together sugar, butter, flour, and beaten egg until smooth. Whisk in 1/2 cup of the warm milk then gradually add mixture back into the milk in the pan and cook, stirring constantly, until thick, about 5-8 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Set aside and let cool until ready to use.
4. Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface and cut into 6 pieces. Shape each piece into a disc then create large dimples in the center of each and place onto a greased baking sheet. Cover with a tea towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 350°F. Fill each dimple with about 1/8 cup of cooled custard and then brush the dough with the reserved 1 tablespoon of beaten egg. Bake Skolebrød for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Let cool completely before icing.
6. In a small bowl mix together icing sugar and cream to form a thick, glossy, smooth glaze. Spread the glaze over the top and sides of the Skolebrod, but not the custard center. Press the icing into coconut then let the icing set. Serve & enjoy!
|Shaped and ready to rise!|
|Baked and cooling before icing.|
Icing and coconut time!