Adapted from Taste of Home
4 to 4 1/2 cups flour
4 1/2 teaspoons (2 packets) quick rise yeast
3 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons dried italian herbs (I used this)
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 cloves garlic, grated
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup butter, cubed
eggwhite, for brushing
1. In a large bowl mix together 1 1/2 cups flour, yeast, sugar, salt, herbs, and garlic powder. Set aside.
2. In a small saucepan over medium heat, place milk, water, and butter. Warm mixture until butter has just started to melt and is about 110-120°F, stir in grated garlic. Add to dry ingredients and stir until combined, along with the egg.
3. Add more flour until soft dough forms, about another 2 cups. Turn out onto floured surface and knead, 8-10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
4. Cover dough with a tea towel and let rest for 10 minutes. Divide into 3 sections, and roll each section in a 15" long rope. Place ropes onto greased baking sheet and braid them together.
5. Cover braid with tea towel and let rise in a warm area until doubled in bulk. I put mine in the oven with just the oven light on.
6. Preheat oven to 375°F. Brush braid with eggwhite and bake 20-25 minutes until golden brown and hollow sounding when gently tapped. Slice & enjoy!
Makes 1 loaf, about 16 Slices.