1 cup chopped pitted dates
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 8x8" dish and set aside. In a saucepan over medium heat, simmer dates in 1 cup water until soft, about 3-5 minutes. Let stand while making batter.
2. In a large bowl cream together butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla until smooth and combined. In a small bowl mix together flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix to combined followed by date mixture and mix well. Pour batter into cake pan and bake 28-30 minutes until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean.
4. For the toffee sauce, in a saucepan over medium heat, mix together evaporated milk, brown sugar, and butter. Bring mixture to a boil then reduce to a simmer for about 1-2 minutes.
5. Poke holes through entire cake then pour over half of the toffee sauce and let stand for cake to absorb the sauce. When ready to serve, pour over additonal sauce. Enjoy!
Pudding, soaked with half of sauce, can stand at room temperature up to 2 hours. Reheat in pan in a 300°F oven 10 minutes. Warm remaining sauce before pouring over pudding.