2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups icing sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons meringue powder
1/8 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons water
black gel tube
1. In a large bowl mix together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
2. In another large bowl, cream together sugar and butter, add egg and vanilla and mix until fluffy.
3. Gradually blend in flour mixture a little at a time, you may need to use your hands to mix in the flour.
4. Form dough into a disc then wrap in plastic wrap and chill until firm, at least 30 minutes.
5. Heat oven to 350°F and line baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll out dough between two sheets of parchment or wax paper and cut out into shapes or pinch off portion of dough and form into desired shape about 1/4” thick.
6. Bake until edges are just golden brown about 8-12 minutes depending on your cookie sheet. Let cookies cool completely before icing.
7. For icing, in a large bowl whisk together icing sugar, meringue powder, extracts, and water until desired consistency is met. Tint icing desired colour(s).
8. Spoon about 1/2 tablespoon of icing onto each cookie. Let icing harden to the touch, about 30 minutes, then pipe on smile using black gel. You could also tint a small amount of the icing black and use to pipe smiles. Serve & enjoy!
Makes 2 dozen 3" round cookies. Let icing harden completely before storing cookies in an airtight container.
|Happy Random Acts of Kindness Day!|