1 cup flour
6 tablespoons salted butter, chilled
2-3 tablespoons ice water
1 cup chopped pitted dates
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon water
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 teaspoons orange zest
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1. For the pastry, in a large bowl place flour and cut in butter until the mixture resembles sand. Sprinkle over 2 tablespoons water and mix in with fork or fingers. Gradually add more ice water until mixture holds its form. Form dough into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap and flatten into a disc. Chill 30 minutes.
2. While dough is chilling, prepare date filling. In a saucepan over medium high heat, place dates, water, sugar, and almond extract. Bring mixture to a boil and reduce to a simmer, stirring until mixture forms a thick paste. Remove from heat and stir in orange zest and cinnamon. Let cool.
3. (A) Roll out dough between sheets of parchment into a rectangle, about 1/4” thick. (B) Spread filling in the middle and (C) fold over left and right pastry sides. (D) Roll log over so it's seam side down and place onto baking sheet.
4. Bake at 350°F for 30-35 minutes until (E) golden brown on the bottom and golden on top.
5. Let cool completely on wire rack. (F) Dust with icing sugar if desired and use a serated knife to slice into 1/2" thick cookies. Serve & enjoy!
Makes 15. 112 calories each. For best keeping, store cookies in an airtight container.