2 1/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup margarine, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
sugar, for rolling
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl sift together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger.
3. In another large bowl cream butter and margarine until smooth. Add brown sugar and blend until well combined followed by egg and molasses; blending until thick and fluffy.
4. Add half of the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and blend in. At this point you need to stop blending and start to stir and use your hands to work in the remaining flour to form a soft dough.
5. Using a 1/4 cup measurer, scoop out portions of dough and roll in sugar. Place on baking sheets (at least 2" apart) and press down until about 1/2" thick. Wet tops of dough with water.
6. Bake 10-12 minutes until golden brown on the bottom and just set. Let cool and firm up on pan 3 minutes before transfering to wire racks to cool. Cool completely then serve & enjoy!
Makes 1 dozen. These cookies are crunchy on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside, the perfect cookie if you ask me!