2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1/3 cup shortening
3/4 cup milk
1 cup icing sugar
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1-2 tablespoons milk
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl mix together flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and pumpkin pie spice. Cut in shortening until the size of small peas. Stir in milk to form a soft dough.
3. Roll out dough onto a lightly floured surface until about 1/3" thick. Cut into rings, (I used a 3" cookie cutter and a piping tip to remove the centers, you could also use a doughnut cutter), then twist ring into a figure 8 shape. Place onto baking sheet.
4. Bake knots 10-12 minutes until golden brown on the bottom. Let cool completely before icing.
5. In a small bowl mix together icing sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and milk. Spoon icing over knots and let set.
6. Dust with icing sugar if desired then serve & enjoy!
Makes 2 dozen.
Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
Mix all spices together until combined. Store in an air tight container in a cool dry place.