3/4 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
jam or jelly (I used rapsberry jam and grape jelly)
2 tablespoons sugar, for rolling
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl cream together shortening, brown sugar, and peanut butter. Add vanilla and egg, blend until well combined.
3. In a small bowl mix together flour and salt. Blend flour mixture into wet ingredients until crumbly dough forms.
4. Form 1.5" round balls of dough then roll them into sugar. Press thumb into middle to form a dent for the jam. Place 1/2 teaspoon of jam into dent.
5. Bake cookies 12-14 minutes until golden brown on the bottom. Let set on pan 3 minutes then transfer to wire rack to cool. Serve & enjoy!
Makes 2 dozen.