1 cup flour, sifted
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon icing sugar
1/2 tablespoon butter, soft
1/2 tablespoon vegetable shortening
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 tablespoons Bird's custard powder
3 tablespoons sugar
1 1/4 cups milk
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup icing sugar, sifted
2/3 cup coconut
Prepare custard in advance. Place all ingredients into a saucepan over medium high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and whisk constantly until thickened. Remove from heat and let cool to reach room temperature.
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl place flour, baking powder, salt, and icing sugar. Cut in butter and shortening until the size of small peas. Add milk and stir to form soft dough.
3. On a lightly floured surface, pat out dough until about 1/2" thick. Cut out two 3" round dough pieces then press reamining dough together and cut out two more 3" round pieces. Place pieces onto baking sheet. Create indentations in the middle of the dough and place 1 tablespoon custard.
4. Bake 12-14 minutes until golden brown. Let cool completely.
5. For the glaze, melted butter in a saucepan then whisk in sugar, milk, and vanilla. Remove from heat and whisk in icing sugar. Glaze tops of pastries then dip into coconut.
6. Let icing set then serve & enjoy!