1/3 cup chilled vegetable shortening
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 to 3 tablespoons ice water
2 apples, peeled and chopped
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon milk, for brushing
2 tablespoons sugar, for sprinkling
Prepare pastry in advance. In a large bowl mix together flour and salt. Cut in shortening using pastry blender or two knives until the size of small peas. Sprinkle over 1 tablespoon ice water, stir with hands or fork to mix, then add additional 1-2 tablespoons ice water until dough forms. Form into disc and wrap in plastic, chill 30 minutes.
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a saucepan over medium high heat, place apples, vanilla, cinnamon, lemon juice, and sugar. Cook 10-15 minutes until apples are tender and sugar has dissolved.
3. Drain juices and reserve apple pieces.
4. Roll out pastry on a lightly floured surface or between plastic wrap until about 1/8" thick. Cut into 8 squares. On bottom squares place heaped tablespoon apple filling in center. Cut "x" shape into top squares.
5. Brush edges on bottom squares with milk, then place top square over apples and seal with fork.
6. Place pies onto baking sheet and brush with milk then sprinkle with sugar. Bake 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Serve & enjoy!