1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons icing sugar
1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening, chilled
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
3-4 tablespoons ice water
vegetable oil, for brushing
1. In a large bowl mix flour, salt, and icing sugar. Cut in shortening until the size of small peas.
2. Sprinkle over almond extract and 2 tablespoons ice water and mix in with fork or fingers. Gradually add more ice water until mixture holds its form.
3. Form dough into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap and flatten into a disc. Chill 30 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 425°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Brush horn molds with vegetable oil, coating the outside and the opening edges.
5. Roll out dough between parchment or wax paper into a 6x9" rectangle, trim edges. Score six 1" wide strips, and then cut. Starting at the pointed end of the mold, roll pastry up and around, making sure there are no gaps between each layer.
6. Place molds seam side down onto baking sheet. Bake 12-14 minutes until golden brown. Remove from molds (be careful, they will be hot) and place on wire rack to cool.
Filling & Topping:
1/4 cup Bird's custard powder
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups finely chopped strawberries
1 tablespoon sugar
icing sugar, for dusting
1. In a saucepan, place custard powder, sugar, vanilla, and milk. Stir well.
2. Place over medium high heat and bring mixture to a boil. Stir constantly until custard begins to thicken. Turn off heat and continuing stirring for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and cool completely.
3. Toss chopped strawberries and sugar together, until sugar has dissolved.
4. Once custard has cooled, spoon or pipe into horns. Spoon chopped strawberries over top and dust with icing sugar. Serve & enjoy!