450g puff pastry (2 sheets)
2 cups fresh or frozen raspberries
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup cornstarch
Cream Cheese Filling:
1 8oz package cream cheese, at room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup icing sugar, sifted
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a saucepan place raspberries, sugar, lemon juice, and cornstarch. Bring to a boil and stir (careful not to mush the raspberries too much). Remove from heat and let cool to allow mixture to thicken.*
3. In a large bowl, blend cream cheese, sugar, egg, and vanilla until smooth.
4. Take 1 sheet of puff pastry (9x9") and cut tabs about 2" wide and 1" thick down both sides.
5. Spread half of cream cheese filling into the centre, and half of the raspberry filling over the cream cheese layer. Alternate folding the tabs across to create a braid and seal bottom edges. Repeat with other sheet of puff pastry.
6. Place onto baking sheets and bake 30-35 minutes until puffed up and golden brown.
7. In a small pot over medium heat, melt butter then turn off heat. Add sugar and stir constantly until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and whisk in milk, extract, and icing sugar. Pour into heavy duty freezer bag, snip the corner and drizzle over warm danishes.
8. Let cool danishes completely then slice, serve, & enjoy!
*If mixture is too juicy, place through a sieve and drain excess juices.
Serves 8 to 10.