1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold unsalted butter or 100% vegetable oil solid margarine
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup raspberries*
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup softened butter or margarine
2 tablespoons ground almonds
3 tablespoons icing sugar
1/8 teaspoon almond extract
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until size of small peas. Stir in raspberries (see note below).*
3. In a small bowl whisk together buttermilk, egg yolk, and extract. Add to dry ingredients. Roll dough out onto lightly floured surface.
4. Form 9" round circle, and cut into 8 triangles. Brush with egg white, sprinkle with sugar and almonds.
5. Bake 20-25 minutes until golden brown, and toothpick comes out clean.
6. For almond butter, in a small bowl, cream together butter, ground almonds, icing sugar, and extract. Spread over warm scones & enjoy!
Makes 8 large scones.
*If using frozen raspberries, incorporate into dry ingredients before adding wet mixture. If using fresh raspberries, incorporate when dough has formed by rolling out dough, then sandwiching raspberries inside.