2 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup butter
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chai tea (cooled)
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon cream
1 tablespoon sugar, for sprinkling
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
3. Cut the butter into small pieces and blend into the flour mixture with a pastry blender. This mixture should look like coarse crumbs.
4. In a small measuring cup, combine the chai tea, beaten egg and vanilla. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the liquid, stirring with a wooden spoon until the batter forms moist clumps. The batter will be sticky. Do not over mix.
5. Gather dough together with your hands and transfer to a lightly floured surface. Gently knead for about 10 seconds until dough forms a ball and is smooth.
6. Pat dough into a 7" circle that is about 1" thick. Using a sharp knife, cut circle into 8 triangular sections.
7. Mix egg and cream in a small bowl. With a pastry brush, brush the tops of scones with the glaze and sprinkle lightly with sugar.
8. Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes, until lightly browned, or a toothpick inserted in the middle of the scone comes out clean. Remove from oven. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
These are my favorite scones, perfect alone or with some butter and jam!